Is your house plagued by ants? Is stomping on them just not working anymore?
When you’ve got an infestation, you’ve got to act fast. There are a ton of methods around the web that claim to work, but we’ve put together a few of the easiest, most effective methods. Some of them are even natural, so you won’t have to worry about poisons.
Here are a few of the best ways to get rid of ants once and for all. The best part is, you probably already have all of these things.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Ants
Mother Nature created these foul scourges but was kind enough to give us a few effective remedies as well.
- White Vinegar: One of the best (and least known!) is white vinegar. Anyone who’s had ants around the house knows there’s one problem when it comes to cleaning them up: they come back. Not with vinegar. They absolutely hate it. Make a 50/50 solution with water and regular white vinegar and wipe down all surfaces with it, including entry points. White vinegar completely removes the scent trails ants use to communicate, so they’ll never find their way back.
- Baby Powder: Why this works is a mystery, but hey, we need all the help we can get. Some baby powder or chalk in front of their entryway will stifle ant advancement. Try it out and see for yourself. Be sure to use generous portions.
- Natural Herbs/Spices: Unlike me, ants hate spices. Sprinkling some cinnamon or even pepper and garlic in every area you’ve seen the critters should keep them at bay. Speaking of bay, bay leaves are also a great way to keep them out. Place some around the home and in your cabinets. Even if it doesn’t work, your home will smell delicious.
- Coffee: If you’re a coffee lover, then you have a secret weapon sitting in your home right now. Tossing your used coffee grounds around your garden and the perimeter of your home will ward off ants. It will even repel some other pests like stray cats too. All of the nutrients will help nourish your garden as well.
- Peppermint: Create a 50/50 solution with peppermint and water, and you will instantly have a powerful anti-ant solution. Put it in a spray bottle and hit all of the surfaces that you’ve noticed the infestation on.
Bonus: Adhesive Tape
It isn’t edible but it’s still in your home. I had to include it! It’s an ingenious solution.
Create a moat around any object that ants are attacking. Fold the tape so the sticky side is showing and create a barrier around objects like the cookie jar. Then, laugh menacingly as they get stuck dead in their tracks. Also, consider putting tape at the entry point as well so it creates a traffic bottleneck for the colony.
Getting rid of an infestation doesn’t have to be expensive. You’ve probably got everything you need lying around the house as we speak. These are the best ways to actually get rid of ants and keep them away for good. However, if natural remedies aren’t enough for a major infestation, it’s best to call a professional from Jims Pest Control ASAP. It could be the sign of bigger problems.