There’s one big problem with removing brushtails from your roof: it’s illegal. Forcibly relocating or killing a possum is against the law Down Under, so you’re going to have to get a little creative. Don’t worry, we’ll teach you how to remove a possum from your roof so it never comes back again.
Nobody wants one of these critters making a nest inside their roof. Too bad it happens all too often. Most possums have lost their natural habitat due to deforestation and encroaching human development. It wouldn’t be such a problem if they weren’t so loud while we are all trying to sleep (and if they didn’t smell so bad). The problem is, you aren’t allowed to forcibly relocate one, and even if you do kick the bugger out, he’s going to come right back.
Here’s how to fix your problem:
How to Get the Possum out of Your Roof
- Find out where he’s coming in: They normally enter from trees or bushes that are close to the house. Keep a close eye on the accused spot until you can verify the possum’s presence.
- Wait until night: Bushtails are nocturnal, so wait until nightfall. Once they leave for the night, place some repellent inside the cavern.
- Shine a Light: Possums like to sleep in the dark. If he isn’t leaving, shine a light in there. That’ll get him out. Keep the light in the cavern inside your roof to keep anyone from coming back.
Relocating Your New Friend
It’s important that you understand this fact: possums will not survive if relocated to a new environment. It’s on you to give him a new place to live. We recommend setting up a new nesting box for him. You can either buy one or build your own. Here’s what to do.
- Decide where you’ll put him: It could be up in a tree or somewhere hanging above your garden. Just make sure he’s out of reach of dogs and cats.
- Put the nest inside the nesting box: If possible, take the nest from your roof and put it in his new nesting box.
- Encourage him to explore the nest: place some fresh fruit inside so he’ll want to check it out.
- Hang the Nest: Put the nest up in its new spot.
- Seal the Hole: Use a metal sheet or strong timber to seal the hole. Bushtails will fight like crazy to get back in.
Possums are one of the most common pests in Australia, and removing them is a real hassle. Your best bet is to prevent them from nesting altogether by thoroughly inspecting and repairing your roof. If you’ve got one already and don’t feel like doing it yourself, contact a possum removal expert to ensure everything is done according to the law.
Short Possum FAQs
How do you get rid of a possum?
To get rid of a possum you will need to first obtain the appropriate licenses and permits. This can often take some time so contacting a professional is often the better option.
Are possums hard to kill?
In most states in Australia it is illegal to injure or kill a possum on purpose. Call a professional with the necessary licences and permits.
Can a BB gun kill a possum?
It is illegal to kill or injure a possum in most Australian states and territories. They must be trapped and removed to another location, and only if you possess the necessary licenses and permits.
How do you kill a possum quickly?
If a possum is injured or maimed you should first consider taking them to a vet. If you think the possum is suffering, then you may need to kill the possum quickly.
How much does possum removal cost?
Possum removal costs can vary, but start at $220 for a licensed expert. Often it will be more that one possum that needs removal and trapping may need to occur across several days.